Wednesday, November 4, 2009

P&P 17-20

"'He has been so unlucky as to lose your friendship,' replied Elizabeth with emphasis, 'and in a manner which he is likely to suffer from all his life.' Darcy made no answer, and seemed desirous of changing the subject."(70)

The fact that Darcy keeps silent after Elizabeth's comment shows that he was caught off guard by it. It seems he always has a reply prepared for everything, except in this instance. Perhaps the comment cut him deep. He may have some regrets of how he ended his relationship with Mr. Wickham. It could also be that he has no way of justifying what he did. I hope to soon know the reason behind his actions.

"I do assure you, Sir, that I have no pretension whatever to that kind of elegance which consists in tormenting a respectable man. I would rather be paid the compliment of being believed sincere. I thank you again and again for the honour you have done me in your proposals, but to accept them is absolutely impossible. My feelings in every respect forbid it. Can I speak plainer? Do not consider me now as an elegant female, intending to plague you, but as a rational creature, speaking the truth from her heart."(83)

Here Elizabeth shows that she is greatly annoyed with the advances of Mr. Collins, and shows her character to be contrary to the general stereotypes of a woman. While expressing her discomfort, she speaks bluntly, while still remaining as polite as possible. This shows her genuine courtesy and good manners. Her words stuck me as a bit odd, as I thought her the type of person to say what she wants when she wants. But now I suppose she saves such comments for those who she does not find respectable.

No comments: