Wednesday, November 18, 2009

P&P 12

"'I have heard, indeed, that she is uncommonly imporved within this year or two. When I last saw her, she was not very promising. I am very glad you liked her. I hope she will turn out well'"(Austen 250)

This just seems like a weird thing for Wickham to say. Why insult Georgiana? Is he trying to cover the fact that he once pursued her? Is he resentful to her because his advances were met with failure? Or, would what he said even be considered insulting during that period? I also find it a bit odd that he would say this simply because Elizabeth told him that she likes Georgiana. It makes me wonder if he was trying to lure her into a deeper conversation so that he could create more lies to tell her.

"'He could be still amiable, still pleasing, to my uncle and aunt, when he was in town; and why not to me? If he fears me, why come hither? If he no longer cares for me, why silent? Teazing, teazing, man! I will think no more about him'"(258).

Elizabeth continues to show her confusion over Darcy. It seems she was very hopeful that he would once again confess his love for her. So much so, that the fact that he did not do it moments after entering the room has her bewildered. She also seems to have the impression that Darcy may be leading her on by remaining silent. Has she forgotten that this is the way that Darcy tends to behave? Or is it because he went through a period of behaving contrary to his original style that his reverting has her confused? Despite the fact that she shows frustratation over Darcy's behavior, I get the feeling that it is just making her love for him greater.

No comments: