Friday, November 20, 2009

P&P #14

"'I cannot be so easily reconciled to myself. The recollection of what I then said, of my conduct, my manners, my expressions during the whole of it, is now, and has been for many months, inexpressibly painful to me'"(Austen 281)

Darcy, who has been assumed to be the embodiment of pride throughout a novel, actually turns out to be one of the most humble characters present in the novel. There were many examples of this before, but this quote shows him admitting to particular faults, rather than just his faults in general. Also, the fact that he finds it difficult to forgive himself shows his humility. The other interesting thing about this quote is that he implies that Elizabeth is more merciful than him, which seems like it would be difficult for someone like Darcy to do.

"'Oh! My sweetest Lizzy! how rich and how great you will be! What pin-money, what jewels, what carriages you will have! Jane's is nothing to it-nothing at all. I am so pleased-so happy. Such a charming man!'"(290)

Somehow, this does not surprise me. Mrs. Bennet spent a great deal of the novel by taking shots at Mr. Darcy and saying what a disagreeable person he was. She showed annoyance during every one of his visits, and even thought of ways to get rid of him. So, it is clear she detests Darcy. However, she decides to throw off her detestment when she finds that Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth are engaged. The only reason Mrs. Bennet is happy about it is that Elizabeth will become rich by marrying Darcy. Mrs. Bennet even belittles the engagement of Jane, who is supposed to be her favorite, simply because of Darcy's wealth. And because Elizabeth is to share in that fortune, Mrs. Bennet suddenly desides Mr. Darcy to be charming. After all that has happened involving her throughout the novel, Mrs. Bennet somehow manages to remain static.

No comments: