Monday, October 5, 2009

Fallacies

Hasty Gereralization:

I entered the crowded train station and asked four random people if they liked cheese. They said they did. This means most people in that train station liked cheese.

Stereotype:

That person was very rude and opinionated, so he must have been French.

Cause and Effect:

After Jack finished his homework, a tree fell on his house. Therefore, Jack completing his homework caused the tree to fall.

Only Cause Fallacy:

We can keep people from littering by banning the sale of anything that comes packaged.

False Analogy:

I carry a great amount of responsibility, like the warden of a prison.

Attacking the Person:

This person cannot be trusted with the position of chairman because he once had an affair.

Either or Fallacy:

Either we have sixty pieces of pizza or we starve.

Non-sequitur:

The fire I built was put out by the rain, so I must not have made it properly.

Circular Reasoning:

I want a raise. I should get it because I have not set the store on fire or stolen anything.

Begging the Question:

It is well-known that snakes are the coolest reptiles in the world.

No comments: