Monday, December 1, 2008

A Separate Peace Quote Analysis

Quote: "Leper had escaped from spies. I seized the conclusion and didn't try to go beyond it. I suppose all our Butt Room stories about him intriguing around the world had made me half ready to half believe something like this." (140)

Significance

This quote shows Gene lying to himself to avoid any unpleasant thoughts. Not knowing exactly what awaited him when he'd see Leper after so long, he seeks to comfort himself, so is not to worry about what could have gone wrong. This quote also shows that Gene is so good at lying to himself, that he almost believes it. Yet, I do not see this as Gene being a pathological. Rather, I see it as him hanging on to the what happiness the world has left for him. In a way, I guess he adopted a few of Phineas' characteristics.

Question: If that was Gene's best thought on the subject, what was his worst?

No comments: