Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A Separate Peace Quote Analysis

Quote: "I did not cry then or ever about Finny. I did not even cry when I stood watching him being lowered into his family's straight-laced burial ground outside of Boston. I could not escape a feeling that this was my own funeral, and you do not cry in that case."(194)

Significance:

Gene seems to think that in losing Finny, he's lost himself. This gives me the impression that in their friendship, Finny had always been the leader, and Gene the follower. Since Finny is gone, Gene is left with no idea of what to do. Perhaps the whole impulse of Gene causing Finny's accident was to break away from Finny in order to make his own decisions. But know that he has the complete opportunity, he has learned that to be impossible.

Question: What will be Brinker's reaction to this?

No comments: