Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Separate Peace Quote Analysis 5

Quote: "It struck me then that I was injuring him again. It occurred to me that this could be an even deeper injury than what I had done before. I would have to back out of it, I would have to disown it."(Page 71)

Significance: This quote shows that Gene may have been subconsciously willing to cause Finny physical harm, but he still had enough morals to not allow himself to harm Finny emotionally. This is most likely because despite his jealousy of Finny, Gene still considers him to be his closest friend. Gene got what he wanted, after all. Because of the accident, Finny is no longer athletically gifted. Thus, Gene has nothing left to envy. However, Gene does not want to lose Finny as a friend, so he is sure to not upset him.

Quote: Will Gene come to appreciate Finny more in his current state?

No comments: