Tuesday, March 9, 2010

"I don't think I am likely to marry, Harry. I am too much in love. That is one of your aphorisms. I am putting it into practise, as I do everything you say"(Wilde 51).

I find it interesting that Dorian is aware of the fact that he is Lord Henry's slave, yet does not mind in the least. Is Lord Henry truly that inspiring, or is Dorian just a moron? Really, if it's so obvious to every character in the story that Lord Henry is manipulative, why cannot Dorian see it? Or rather, why does it not bother him? Maybe Dorian seeks to follow Lord Henry's example merely to be as successful as him. Although that is not likely. Such a motive seem too intelligent for Dorian.

"I don't want to see him alone. He says things that annoy me. He gives me good advice"(60).

Dorian truly is immature if something like receiving good advice annoys him. If Dorian knows the advice that Basil gives him to be good, why does he consider following it? Perhaps Dorian uses the term "good" ironically, as if he means what society considers to be good rather than what he himself considers to be good. In that case, does Dorian consider Lord Henry's advice to be "good"? The case might be that Dorian likes the advice that Basil is giving him, but forces himself to be annoyed with it because he finds Lord Henry's advice to be fascinating. It is a shame that Dorian allows himself to be influenced so easily. He reminds me of Pinnochio, who was also a puppet that strayed from the one who considered him to be a masterpiece and ignored good advice in order to pursue that which seemed amusing.

No comments: