Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Crucible 1

"I look for John Proctor that took me from my sleep and put knowledge in my heart! I never knew what pretense Salem was, I never knew the lying lessions I was taught by all thee Christian women and their covenanted men!"(Miller 24)

By this quote, it seems Proctor has much more to do with the situation than he is letting on. He is prehaps the reason for the girls practicing witchcraft, which was most likely done to secure his own interests. Also, Abagail is shown to not have always behaved the way she does now, and resents the very establishment that raised her. Whether this is based on logic or love is unclear at this point.

"I did not preach for children, Rebecca. It is not the children who are unmindful of their obligations toward this ministry"(29)

Parris' words make him out to be paranoid about everything(which is common for someone who has power). However, it seems that if he does wish to rid the world of those who disobey the order of the society in which he lives, the children should be of great convern to him. After all, once the youth is corrupted, society does not stand a chance. The fact that Parris is more worried about those near his social standing show his fear of someone taking his place.

No comments: